This month Facing History is the featured partner on Connected Learning TV for the series, Creating Upstanders in Today's World. We are publishing the recorded webinars here with additional resources.
Our first webinar focused on Creating a Safe and Reflective Classroom.
The purpose of education is to cultivate thoughtful, informed, competent, creative, and compassionate students, who, filled with a sense of wonder and an appreciation of life in all its diversity, see themselves as active participants in creating a more just society."
- Doc Miller, Facing History and Ourselves
Doc and LA educator Stephanie Carrillo shared their experience and practical strategies for creating a safe, reflective, classroom community which forms the foundation for students to develop a sense of agency in the world. Doc has identified these as:
- Mutual Respect
- Culture of Questioning
- Student to Student Discussions
- Connecting Content to Students’ Lives and to the World Today
- Allowing for a Variety of Ways for Students to Express and Enrich Their Learning
- Creating Space for Diverse Viewpoints