We had a packed room for our presentation this year at the California Association of Teachers of English conference. Check out our presentation below, highlighting four great resources from Facing History's collection of writing strategies, literacy strategies and literature-based study guides.
Scaffolding for Common Core –aligned Writing Prompts
How do you create rich prompts for student writing assignments, and then help students create strong responses? This interactive session will share models of rich prompts related to the Holocaust and Civil Rights Movement which can easily be adapted to other content areas, as well as dozens of strategies which build students’ writing skills from understanding the prompt through evaluating evidence and taking a clear stand with their thesis statement.
Additional links for English/Language Arts teachers:
- Standards-based Literacy Strategies
- Argumentative Writing Strategies
- Writing Prompts and Strategies specifically aligned to Holocaust and Civil Rights content
- Literature-Based Study Guides from Facing History
- Join us for a seminar on teaching To Kill a Mockingbird this summer in San Francisco or Los Angeles.