It's National Library Week!
What is the last book you checked out of the library? Share your latest library read in a comment below.
Those of you who follow me on Twitter know I joined the "Stay at Home and Read a Book Ball" for LA Public Library this year. I curled up with my choice of books - public library and my own - reading two different books that day. One of my memorable moments when studying in the Soviet Union as a college student was trying to get a Soviet library card... and then the entire process of using a library in Moscow! Needless to say, I'm a bit of a library nerd. So, in honor of National Library Week, here are three gifts:
1) Explore a Collection of Literature Resources curated just for English/Language Arts educators. Did you know Facing History has study guides for 10 different books?
2) Borrow whole class sets from our Facing History library! This is a benefit that Facing History -trained educators can take advantage of. There is no fee. We just ask that you go through a seminar with Facing History so that we can support you as you are teaching these. (Haven't been to a seminar yet? Click here to see the offerings this summer in LA.) Being able to use a book in part or whole is a great supplement to any class. Below are titles currently available. Great titles to explore at your local library as well!
- A Boy of Old Prague
- A Gathering of Heroes: Reflections on Rage and Responsibility
- All Souls: A Family Story from Southie
- Anton the Dove Fancier: And Other Tales of the Holocaust
- Crossing the BLVD: Strangers, Neighbors, Aliens in a New America
- Enrique's Journey
- Escape from Slavery
- Farewell to Manzanar
- Fist Stick Knife Gun
- Forgotten Fire
- Good Enough: One Man's Memoir on the Price of a Dream
- Not On Our Watch
- Our America: Life and Death on the South Side of Chicago
- Outcasts United
- Parallel Journeys
- Red Scarf Girl
- Salvaged Pages
- Somewhere There is Still a Sun
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
- The Bear that Wasn't
- The Children of Willesden Lane
- The Giver
- The Sunflower
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Warriors Don't Cry
3) Read! Check out these recommendations from the Facing History librarian.